The Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument is an investment in the sustainability of New Mexico’s economy and preserves the crossroads of New Mexico’s diverse heritage and grows local jobs and our economy for our future.
According to a 2013 independent economic study commissioned by the Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce, protecting the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks as a national monument would have a “significant” and positive effect on the local economy. Read the full report here.
Designating the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks as a national monument would:
- Contribute more than $7.4 million in additional annual economic activity
- Double the number of jobs supported by the outdoor recreation and tourism industry in the region
- Provide $560,000 in state and local tax revenues
- Increase visitation and related spending at hotels, restaurants, and retail establishments in Doña Ana and El Paso counties
Small business owners and economists agree that protecting our public lands could give Doña Ana County a competitive advantage in attracting new businesses to the area.
- Press Release: Business Leaders Applaud Sens. Udall and Heinrich on Introduction of Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument Bill (Dec. 12, 2013)
- Press Release: More Doña Ana County Leaders Asking Obama to Designate Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument (March 19, 2014)
Opinions of Business Leaders
John. P Muñoz
Immediate Past President, Hispano Chamber of Commerce de Las Cruces
Sitel Site Director
“As we look to make our region even stronger economically, protecting and promoting our natural assets is a smart business decision. We are bringing new businesses and families to Las Cruces and Doña Ana County, and protecting the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument will only help bring more families and more dollars to our region.”
Owner & Operator of Del Valle Design and Imagine, Former Small Business of Year winner
“We love our special mountains and incredible historical treasures. Other people do too, which is why thousands of people visit National Monuments and spend millions of dollars doing so throughout New Mexico. It’s time to protect the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument, for our families and for our economic future.”
Board Chair, Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce
Realtor, EcoBroker at Steinborn & Associates
“The Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce is really making an impact because we are attracting business people who recognize the importance of the triple bottom line: people, planet, and profit. In my own business as a real estate professional, and also as Board President for the Green Chamber of Commerce, I see how important National Monument designation will be for our region’s continuing economic growth and vitality – bringing more tourists, attracting more residents, and building on our already wonderful quality of life in a way that we can all appreciate.”